Heading Home provides emergency, transitional and permanent housing, and support services, to low-income homeless and formerly homeless families and individuals in the communities of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Malden, Everett and Quincy. As our name reflects, a home provides the optimal foundation to get back on track; our programs focus heavily on getting people permanently housed as quickly as possible.
Homelessness is a complex societal issue. With this in mind, our programs provide the flexibility to meet the unique needs of each client, managed by Heading Home’s experienced and compassionate case management staff throughout all stages of one’s ascent out of homelessness. Our wide array of comprehensive services includes housing searches, life-skills development, education and employment services, financial literacy, and asset development. In addition, through our large network of community partners, our case managers facilitate complementary services, such as access to medical and mental health providers, outside counseling, and other important resources.
Heading Home’s mission is to end homelessness in Greater Boston by providing a supported pathway to self-sufficiency that begins with a home, together with critical services such as life skills, financial literacy, and job training.
- Organize a group to purchase groceries, prepare and serve dinner at one of our programs.
- Assist families with childcare during weeknights at our Medford Family Life Education Center (not available in summer, requires background check).
- Stop by our Women’s Drop-In Program in Cambridge during the weekday to serve lunch or help with the clothing room.
- Organize a household item donation drive to collect items from Heading Home’s donation item list.
- Put together “welcome baskets” for families moving into a new home.