Through a combination of food rescue, farming, and transportation services, we give food programs year-round access to fresh fruits and vegetables, while our delivery program brings food directly to isolated seniors and people with disabilities.
Our programs address not only short-term hunger, but obesity, diet-related disease, and other long-term health effects of food insecurity and poor nutrition.
How To Volunteer
Want to help? Food For Free has lots of volunteer opportunities. Unless otherwise noted, shifts start and end at our office at 11 Inman Street, Central Square, Cambridge.
Weekday Truck Route—Help our drivers pick up and deliver food to food programs in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. Requires the ability to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly and a willingness to get dirty. A great way to get a bird’s-eye view of the emergency food system. Most volunteers work once a week. Please contact the office to find out which shifts are currently open.
- Early-morning shift, 7:30-10:30 a.m.
- Mid-day shift, 10:15 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Home Delivery—Help our Home Delivery driver pack boxes of food for delivery to our clients. Once a month, usually Saturday morning 8-10 a.m.
- Office—Help the Executive and Development Directors with filing, correspondence, and data entry. A great opportunity for people who already have administrative skills or for those eager to learn about non-profit management. Hours are negotiable, but are likely to be between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Seasonal Volunteer Opportunities (May through November)
- Farmers Market Pick-Ups—Assist staff in collecting food donations from area farmers markets. Requires the ability to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly and a willingness to get dirty. Weekday evenings, 5:15-7:30 p.m.
- Field of Greens—Get your hands dirty! Help us grow vegetables for distribution to pantries, meals, and shelters. Plant, weed, and harvest at our own little farm in Lincoln. Most shifts are on Wednesdays. Please contact our farm manager at email@example.com for details.
- Special Events–Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about helping with events.
- Internships/Special Projects–Looking for an internship or academic project related to food rescue, applied nutrition, social work, or a related field?